The Organ

This organ was located in the choir vestry of St. Augustine Anglican Church, Merewether.

There is debate about the instrument’s origins but it is known that from 1892 to 1919 the organ was in the drawing room of John St Vincent Welch's home on Sydney's lower north shore.

In 1924, the organ was bought by the Merewether parish and installed in their church, where it has been in use until recently. St Augustine Anglican Church was built by E. C. Merewether and completed in 1889.

The organ is still played today at concerts and special occasions.

More information abou the organ can be found in the  Museum's Collection Database.